Monday 11 June 2007

Amsterdam: First Thoughts

Bikes. Bikes are everywhere. I knew to expect this, and still I was a bit taken aback. Bikes were everywhere, and not only this, in several different configurations. People ride bikes singularaly, some have children in front of them, some have children in wheelbarrow-esque boxes in front of them, some ride on the back, side straddle style, and some ride those two person bikes with the two sets of pedals. I'll have some photos up soon showing some of these interesting combinations.

I walked and walked and walked. I plan on putting it into Google's pedometer at some stage, but I would think it was in the order of about 7km's. I saw a lot of stuff, including a church with a spire/tower thing that just kept on going. I didn't go into anything as such, I'll probably start that stuff tomorrow, but I got a good appreciaton for the different things that are around. I'll have pictures up soonish I hope. The hostel (The Flying Pig) doesn't have usb available on the PC's.

This extended walking wouldn't have been a problem, but the first thing I did when getting to Amsterdam was to have lunch. I ordered a mixed grill souvlaki, which I expected to be wrapped up and handed to be ala Australian style, but I was ushered into the restaurant, and served it on a plate. I probably would have filled about two Aussie style souvlakis. I got through a good portion of it, and in hindsight, I probably shouldn't have pushed through that far. Near the end of my walk, a few hours later, I become quite unwell. It was probably combination of the fatty, greasy stuff mixed with dehydration and a significant lack of sleep, but I found myself about 3 kilometers away from my hostel realizing that there was no chance in me walking back. I managed to struggle myself to a tram and eventually made it back.

An hour and a bit of lying down and a bottle of water later I was feeling markedly better, if not completely back to normal. Hopefully after a sleep I'll feel better. Thing is, it's 9pm over here and it hasn't hit darkness yet. This could pose a problem, but hopefully it won't be too long until the sun sets. Until then I think i'll pass on dinner.

5 comments:

Dre said...

'start that stuff' - very cryptic of you =D Amsterdam sounds 'wheely' good so far...hmm I got nothin.

Anonymous said...

Please do tell your stories of any visits you pay to the local hash bar.

Anonymous said...

...and I thought I was going to be the first person to think of leaving pithy drug related entries.

Jenski said...

Wow you're being very diligent posting entries every day!

Picked up any nice European ladies yet?

JP said...

No, the ladies haven´t got a piece of me yet. Playing hard to get, makin em want it more!