Saturday 7 July 2007

Short Catchup

Ok, so this post is just going to be a quick roundup of the following two days from the last post, because I really want to get stuck into the weekend following them.

So here we go: Basically we slept in a bit the next day, mainly because by the morning Ian and Lisa had been struck down by the evil Paella illness, and none of us were in a huge mood to do anything. Part of this mucking around involved going to the train station. Ian got tickets to Valencia for himself and Lisa, whilst I got myself a ticket to Pamplona. We went out and got some lunch, mucked around for a couple hours and then went back for a nap.

After this we decided to go get a coffee and beer. Whilst sitting in a nice little cafe on the middle of Las Ramblas (the main Barcelona drag), I happened to notice Adam, a guy who I´d hung out with the first night I was in Paris. Waving him over, he and his New Zealand friend, Holly, he´d met at his hostel joined us and ordered some food. They convinced me to join them on a pub crawl that evening, Ian and Lisa weren´t so keen as they were heading to Valencia the next day.

Adam and Holly went off to get themselves sorted for the nights shenanigans and Ian, Lisa and myself went off to find our own dinner. After a nice Italian meal, sort of like a ritzy La Porcetta, I said my goodbyes to Ian and Lisa, not expecting to see them until London, and headed off to the pub crawl.

I arrived late, just before they were moving from the first to the second bar. I quickly downed my first free beer and shot, and followed to the second bar. I´m not going to detail what happened very thoroughly, because honestly, it wasn´t a great night. At the second bar one chick grabbed my ass a few times, only to turn super cold a bar or two later, and the whole crowd just became less and less social as the evening progressed. I wasn´t drinking that heavily, and tried to talk to as many people as I could, but the vibe was just all wrong. I left with Adam after the 4th bar sometime after 1AM, deciding that the final destination (some club) wasn´t worth the effort.

We found the main intersection, however I wasn´t too sure on which direction we should head. I asked one Spanish guy who wasn´t much help, and there were two girls standing a few meters away with suitcases and such. I asked them for the direction to Las Ramblas, which they were able to provide. I´m still not sure exactly how I kept the conversation going, but I learned in short order that they´d just flown into Barcelona and hadn´t worked out a hostel to stay in. This is past 1AM on a Friday night, and Adam and I looked at each exchanging the "I think they´re screwed" glance. We convinced them to follow us to the main strip assuring that we´d be able to find them some accomodation. After checking a few hostels around the place, we ended up at Adam´s that had a few spare beds. He sorted that all out and I headed back to mine.

The next day I met up with Adam at his hostel. The Norwegians were just getting their stuff together and were heading out to find an apartment to stay in for the next week or two, so Adam and I went to do some sightseeing. Not much to talk about really, I took him to the main sights and such. We both organised train tickets to Nice, which took about 2 and a half hours of waiting at the train station. I also had the opportunity of helping a very attractive French girl to get her ticket to Valencia, as she had arrived at the station too late to be served by the ticket windows. There are machines that allow you to buy train tickets to common destinations (such as Valencia), and she informed me that she couldn´t use these as she didn´t have a credit card. I suggested to use mine and she pay me in cash, an opportunity that she was overjoyed to engage. I sorted that out, Adam and I left to get some dinner and checked out the Magic Fountains. These were pretty cool, basically a massive fountain display that moved and changed colour in accordance with some generic classical music. The whole thing was pretty nice, and after the show was over we parted ways and I crashed out at the hostel.

The next day, I headed to Pamplona....

No comments: